We are on the verge of a sustainability awakening akin to the change of perspective that occurred in the renaissance, many of the ideas and concepts exist but penetration is low. One of the aims of Green-Thinkers is not only to read and discuss valuable books and ideas, but to see the practical application in the world around us, whether in our communities, business or at home.
Green-thinkers is a bookclub and discussion group that has a vision to bring people together from all walks of life to discuss latest sustainability thinking on a wide-range of topics. We are currently meet in a few locations but are keen for volunteers who want a challenge to establish similar groups around the UK and world.
We ask questions such as:
- Is GDP a valid way of measuring prosperity?
- Can mega cities be sustainable?
- Can humans adapt to climate change?
- What is the true value of nature and how can our economic and political systems account for natural capital?
- How can the world feed 8 billion people (peak food)?
- What can we learn from nature when designing products and buildings?
- How can we take these ideas back to our places of work ?
Who should come?
- Engineers – working on solutions to the water, waste, energy etc. challenges we are discussing
- Artists – be informed and inspired to create new ways of communicating sustainability concepts
- Scientists – bounce idea of other professions
- Business leaders – can your business not only survive the future, but also be part of the solution?
- Policy makers – discuss sustainability issues in an informal setting with informed individuals
- Financiers – these issues are all down to the money, what can you do?
- Designers – think about redesigning products to make them more sustainable, dematerialisation, leasing rather than owning, be inspired by nature
- Students – this will be the best tutor group ever!
- Environmental and sustainability professionals – keep your knowledge up to date and share your thinking with other professions
- Educators – debate the latest ideas and take them back to your students
- Planners – consider the issues that you need to incorporate into plans for the built environment today
- Sceptics of every kind
Contact email@example.com for guidance on how to set up a Green-Thinkers bookclub near you.
Green-Thinkers was established by:
- Mary Argyraki, Senior Lecturer at Sunderland University
- Marek Bidwell, Director, Bidwell Management Systems
- Richard Clarke, Consultant at Cedrec Information Systems