Green Thinkers is a book club and discussion group that has the vision to bring people together from all walks of life to discuss the latest sustainability thinking on a wide range of topics. We meet in Newcastle upon Tyne, but are keen to encourage similar groups to be established elsewhere.
We discuss questions such as:
- Is GDP a valid way of measuring prosperity?
- Can megacities be sustainable?
- Can humans adapt to climate change?
- What is the true value of nature and how can our economic and political systems account for natural capital?
- How can the world feed 10 billion people sustainably?
- What can we learn from nature when designing products and buildings?
- How can we take these ideas back to our places of work and communities?
Who should come?
- Engineers – working on solutions to the (water, waste, energy) challenges we are discussing
- Artists – be informed and inspired to create new ways of communicating sustainability concepts
- Scientists – bounce ideas off other professions
- Business leaders – can your business be part of the solution?
- Policy makers – discuss sustainability issues in an informal setting with informed individuals
- Financiers – these issues are all down to the money, what can you do?
- Designers – think about redesigning products to make them more sustainable, be inspired by nature and the great discussion
- Students – this will be the best tutor group ever!
- Environmental and sustainability professionals – keep your knowledge up to date and share your thinking with other professions
- Educators – debate the latest ideas and take them back to your students
- Planners – consider how to incorporate sustainability into the built environment
- Sceptics of every kind
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance on how to set up a Green Thinkers book club near you.
Green Thinkers was established by: